Follow these tips for save driving in severe storms:
- Tune in to your radio to stay informed of approaching storms.
- If you see a tornado or hear a tornado warning, don’t try to outrun it. View tornado driving safety tips.
- Turn on your headlights (low beams) and slow down. Many states require the use of headlights during rain.
- Allow extra distance for braking.
- Do not drive unless necessary.
- Pull safely onto the shoulder of the road away from any trees that could fall on the vehicle.
- Stay in the car and turn on the emergency flashers until the heavy rains subside.
- An automobile provides better insulation against lightning than being in the open.
- Avoid contact with any metal conducting surfaces either inside your car or outside.
- Avoid flooded roadways.
- Avoid downed power lines.
- Check your windshield wipers and tires regularly to insure that they are ready for severe weather.
- Approach intersections with caution
- Treat traffic lights at intersections as stop signs.